Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Construction Techniques: Fabric Paint vs. Applique

When putting specific prints on costumes, you have a lot of options. You can paint, applique, embroider, bead, and sometimes embossing works. The method you choose should correspond first to the look and texture of your fabric and pattern, and second to your skill level. Today, I'm going to discuss fabric paint and appliques.

Fabric paint is great for beginners. All you need is a bottle or two of fabric paint, and appropriately sized paint brush, your fabric/garment, and patience. While I say it's good for beginners, I'll admit that I've seen absolutely fantastic painting on some master level costumes. It can be great if you want very sharp details.

Appliques take more time and effort than fabric paint. First you iron the applique paper to the wrong side of your fabric. Then you cut out your design(s). Then you remove the applique backing and iron the designs in their appropriate places on your fabric/garment. I've use this method on my gun Yuna ((FFX-2)) and Rose ((+Anima)) costumes.





All of the symbols are appliqued. This includes the dark blue symbols on the skirt and the white sun on the shirt, which isn't visible in this picture.



All of the dark brown triangles are appliqued. It was a bit tedious, but I managed to make it go a bit quicker by cutting out strips of triangles about 4-6 inches long, shaped to match the edge of the fabric. Once the applique was done, I put white bias tape over it. Voila!


Also, I know that my costume isn't finished. I was rushing out the door to get to a picnic and forgot my gloves and hair flower. But I do have them!







Once the ironing is finished, you'll want to go back and stitch around the edges of the appliques to make sure they never fall off. Appliques can add gentle texture to you costume that fabric paint might not achieve in the same way.

TIP:
Unless your costume specifically needs it, avoid puffy paint at all costs. It becomes bulky and can crack or distort if bent, and it can ruin the look of your costume.

<3 Kandell

No comments:

Post a Comment