Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to Kandell's Closet. I figured that since this is the first post, I should give you a bit of a background on myself.

I've been sewing for as long as I can remember. My mother learned from her grandmother and taught me, and I'm so glad she did. I never had a great use for sewing when I was younger, other than impressing my home ec teachers. But in 2009, I found a new use for my hobby. Another hobby, known as cosplaying. Cosplay is derived from 'costume' and 'play'. It's basically dressing up as a character- from anime, video games, movies, tv shows, etc.- and getting into character and having fun. It most often occurs at conventions, though cosplay communities are known to host events year-round.

So in 2009 I made my first cosplay. I made a gun mage Yuna Braska costume, from Final Fantasy X-2. It's a more obscure 'dress sphere', so I wasn't recognized at the convention that I wore it to. It was a challenge to make, but I enjoyed it immensely. In addition to my costume, I made a summoner Yuna Braska costume for one of my best friends. She also attended the convention with me, and her costume was complimented before we even entered the hotel.

That experience got me hooked. In no time at all I was making lists of characters that I wanted to cosplay, drafting patterns, making schematics. I got several of my friends hooked on cosplay, as well. Currently, I have about seven of my own costumes and have made multiple costumes for friends.

In this blog, I'll be doing tutorials and updates on different costumes and techniques. I will be posting pictures and possibly videos to help instruct, and hope you enjoy them! <3

Kandell

No comments:

Post a Comment